Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sanctioned Prejudice

I'm sure I am going to see some flack for what I'm about to write, but I can't help but say what I believe. During the last presidential elections, I asked my writing students to respond to the question:Which is the greatest prejudice, that against women or people of color?
Most students of my students are under 25 years of age. I'm not sure how that figures into it, since this is not a scientific survey, by any means, but I want to be as thorough as possible. Most of my students do not think that women are subject to ANY limitations in this country. Of course, I do not limit my question to the United States and women from other countries (especially those who grew up or spent time in a middle eastern or African country) see things differently.
I usually ask this question around the time of the birthdays of Martin Luther King Jr. and Abe Lincoln, since I can also ask students to compare and contrast two famous speeches and men, who fought similar battles. Though most know who Abe Lincoln was, and have some vague understanding of what Martin Luther King Jr. fought and died for, none of these same individuals can remember a single woman's name from the Suffrage Movement or knows what the Equal Rights Amendment is.
As the political right and left become more and more polarized in this country, it appears obvious to me that white bigotry is alive and well in our country. In fact, I believe that the questions raised during the Civil War and during any movement that deals with "equal rights," have never been resolved in the U.S.
I know that some think that the Union won the Civil War, and that the question of states' rights being subject to federal control was resolved. However, if you look at our current polarization, we see that this is not the case. Rich white men, primarily from the South, never accepted that they lost the war. This, I believe is at the core of our political problems today. The only difference between the prejudices is that the prejudice against women is largely sanctioned in the U.S. by the greater ignorance of bigotry against people of color.
We continue to hear the call for states' rights and even the voicing of the possibility of "armed conflict" if the spoiled losers don't get their way. Healthcare reform? The vote is in, and does the Right accept it? No, they want to "retake control and repeal Obamacare lock, stock and barrel." The primary moving force behind non-acceptance of Barack Obama's presidency (no matter what he does) is because he is black. It is that simple. White conservative males (by a wide majority) don't like Obama. There is a pervasive, uneasy feeling about Obama being "too uppidy." He is often referred to by the GOP as "arrogant." This is not surprising, but guess who is the person they hate even more than the president. That's right, it's a woman. It is Nancy Pelosi! If you want to get the ire up of a Republican, mention her name.
White bigots, primarily from the Confederate States can't get over the fact that no matter how they try, they can't keep Blacks and Women from running the country. When we hear the call for the "Good Old Days" what are we really looking for? A return to a time when women and blacks were not in charge. That's what I think. Show me where I'm wrong. The GOP needs to stop fighting the Civil War. The Suffrage Movement has already earned women the right to vote and be Speaker of the House, and Secretary of State and Supreme Court Judges. We will never progress as a country, until we see that bigotry is alive and well in the U.S. and is poisonous regardless which group it is aimed at.
Below is a recent interview with Nancy Pelosi. She is allowed to speak for herself. See if you can watch the video without any preconceptions or pre-judgements.

No comments:

Post a Comment